[liblouis-liblouisxml] The liblouis logging functions

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 06:59:59 -0500

There are three such functions, lou_logfile lolu_logPrint and lou_logEnd
They must be considered as a group. The question on this thread is what
behavior is best. Thanks to Michael for bringing this to my attention.

Right now, if the argument to lou_logfile is NULL messages are sent to
stderr. This causes problems on a GUI. If the application doesn't crash
the messages may just not be displayed. An obvious fix is to make
lou_logfile ignore NULL arguments. Lou_logPrint also needs some fixing.
lou_logEnd closes the log file so it is available for examination by the
user or the application.

I think that if lou_logfile is called with a valid filename, it should
save that name, and ignore any NULL arguments. When lou_logPrint is
called
it should check for a filename and if one is present open that file if
it is not already open. Thus, an application can give a filename when it
starts and this file will be used no matter how many times the file is
closed. I plan to do this in BrailleBlaster. The initialize method
provides a filename which is appended to the path to the brlblst/temp
directory on the user's machine. Calls to liblouisutdml functions will
then send error messages to this file.