[liblouis-liblouisxml] Some thoughts on all these messages

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <johnjboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:09:10 -0600

liblouis and liblouisxml are designed to bo used via function calls. The
internals should not be the concern of the application. Hence, the
UserData structure would not be a good basis for a Python class. xml2brl
does use it. Such use is only safh for a developer who is very familiar
with the structure.

It is not necessary to call lbx_initialize unless you want the special
features which it provides, such as designating a log file and a
configuration string.

I like the idea of having table file names contain the language
information. That is the case with many tables now. However, the present
file names are all over the map. This is an exampple of the danger of
rushing into things. Changing them now could cause problems for users.

I do not think a new API is needed. The approach I suggested in an
earlier message is much simpler and more flexible. We do need to retain
the flexibility of liblouis and liblouisxml.

Calling the libraries directly from an application is of course the most
efficient. It is the way to go for a complex apflication. However,
xml2brl has a lot of command-line options that are useful, say in a php
application.

My websites:
GodTouches Digital Ministry, Inc. http://www.godtouches.org
Abilitiessoft, Inc. http://www.abilitiessoft.com