[liblouis-liblouisxml] SV: Re: SV: Re: UEB G2 translation of "reverse".

  • From: Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 20:45:10 +0100

Hi Greg,

First of all, I will explain how to use the hyphenation table once it has been
made:

1. Use the include opcode to include the hyphenation table at the bottom of the
table file, i.e. after all contraction rules.

2. Replace relevant partword opcodes with nocross, and delete all lines that
specify syllables and exceptions.

In principal, that is it. You will find that the contraction rules are much
simpler and easier to read and debug, because the hyphenation table takes care
of all the exceptions.

Currently, the nocross code works like partword, with the addition that the
contraction may not cross a syllable boundary. I have earlier suggested that
nocross should be a prefix to other opcodes. In that way, we could also use it
with begword and endword etc.

Also, it is good to keep in mind that the so-called hyphenation table can be
used for other things than strictly hyphenating. There may be situations where
a given contraction is not allowed, even if it is within the same syllable. In
Danish, for instance, the "ve" contraction is 3456, same as numsign. So, the
rule says that this contraction can not be used at the beginning of a word, if
the word might then be mistaken for a number. So, in my hyphenation list, I
have contraptions like v-e-ga and v-e-da, which solves the problem very nicely.
In this case, it would actually be good to be able to say something like
"nocross begword ve 3456".
Using this approach, perhaps there would have been no need to remove the "ble"
contraction from UEB in the first place.

The difficult thing is of course creating the hyphenation table. I will collect
the relevant references and write another mail about this.

Hope it is useful.
Bue

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Jan 11, 2016, at 10:45 AM, Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

You could make a hyphenation file using that table and use that streight away
with liblouis. I have done that with Danish grade 2, and it gives
tremendously accurate results. Much better than making an actual liblouis
table with the words and syllables and exceptions and exceptions to the
exceptions.

If I can help in the process, please tell me.

Bue

Syllables are very important in UEB. I have a table of over 160,000 English
words broken by syllable if we need it.

#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA