[liblouis-liblouisxml] Reliance on runtime environments

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:27:39 +0000

Hello,
On the page that Christian has created as an option for a website, it was mentioned that liblouis and liblouisutdml do not require a runtime as it is written in C so can be used on about any platform.

My dispute/question with that is that liblouisutdml does not have Java as an optional dependency. One must have Java to compile it, may be things work fine when running with no Java installation providing one does not access the Java binding code.

My thought mainly being, does the requirement for Java to compile liblouisutdml possibly restrict where it can be used?

I think regardless of the answer to the above the Java bindings should be optional, why have them compiled in if they will not be used. I am not familiar enough with the build systems (automake or the nmake stuff for MsVC) to make such a change though (oh for IDEs which get that stuff right for you almost all the time).

My other question is, if compiling against Java is fine with people now,then would it be worth considering a higher level language like C++ for liblouisutdml? I must clarify that in suggesting that, this need not affect liblouis if people want liblouis to remain in plain C.

I just feel that a higher level language might make the document processing in liblouisutdml simpler.

Michael Whapples