[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Proposal for next liblouis release date

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:04:42 -0800

Hi all,
I agree with Ken in that we should work towards milestone-based releases
rather than strictly using date-based releases. Another approach would be
regular date-based releases with each containing a milestone project such as
Nemeth support and so on. For example, we could say we should release a
major release around Fall, then release bug fixes (after a test period)
every quarter.
The feature set could be as follows:
* Major release (Fall): major milestones reached which forms the basis for
improvements throughout the year. For example, we could work on a milestone
for UEB support slated for a Fall release, and should be included in the
fall release if it has gone through various testing phases.
* Winter/Spring: Bug fixes and other milestones (if these were not ready for
fall release).
* Summer: mainly bug fixes and base code for next milestone.
These would work for both sides: having date-based releases would guarantee
that table maintainers are aware of when to submit improved tables, and
using milestone-based releases (at least once a year) would guarantee that
the code had sufficident testing period.
So may I propose an alternate dates for some new release please:
* 2.5.4: I'd go with Christian's deadline for now.
* 2.5.5: Some time in May 2014 with bug fixes and milestones.
* 2.5.6: July 2014 with bug fixes.
* Possibly 2.6: Some time in October 2014 to include various milestones and
improvements.
Another option is to release the new versions every 4 months or so like:
* 2.5.4: Christian's deadline.
* 2.5.5: June 2014.
* Possibly 2.6: October 2014.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks.