[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Problems with MacOS X 10.9

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 14:17:25 +0100

Hello Greg,

You've used MacPorts to install libiconv in /opt/local, but the average Mac
user doesn't have a clue about MacPorts. I'm not sure why the liblouis
compilation chose the version in /opt/local over the one in /usr/lib in
your case, that's a compilation detail and probably has to do with your
system setup. Either you have fix to the compilation (maybe by uninstalling
your MacPorts libiconv?), or change the installation path afterwards with
install_name_tool (http://www.unix.com/man-page/OSX/1/install_name_tool/).
Meet us on IRC if you want help with that.

By the way, what exactly is it you want to accomplish with this MacOS
package? I assume it's intended for end-users, because for developers it
makes more sense to install from source, right? How important is it that
everything is installed in exactly the same place as when you would install
liblouis from source with default configuration (/usr/local/)? Would it
perhaps be more convenient if everything was installed in a single place
like e.g. /Library/Liblouis, everything self-contained so that the user has
nothing to worry about? Making a self-contained package is pretty
straightforward. It can be done in two ways, either by static compilation,
or by copying and including all dependencies (and changing the installation
paths accordingly with install_name_tool). I believe static compilation was
a bit of a problem for liblouis (back when I tried it), so in DAISY
Pipeline I went for the second approach.

Bert