[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Pre-built Windows binaries

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 14:32:44 +0100

A few things to note.

As others have commented binary compatibility is an issue which could cause complications and potentially support issues. If using Jaws as an example, FS normally release enough updates that it wouldn't be too long to wait for them to release another release with the latest LibLouis. IE. Jaws is the application and as the application provider FS are responsible for providing the binaries for their application. If one has a modified binary which they want to substitute then assumably they had a developer (someone with developer skills involved somewhere) so that person should be able to produce a binary.

Also please remember those comments were primarily in the context of MacOSX. Windows builds have some code in LibLouis which means the fallback table path is more portable than on other systems (IE. windows uses a path relative to the program location rather than a compile time defined path). It makes binary builds of LibLouis easier to install on a variety of windows systems, for unix type systems generally it is best for it to be compiled for the specific system it is being installed on. I still feel though on Windows application private copies of liblouis are probably the best way to go when deploying an application.

Finally, I did note that table developers are a special case and may want the command line tools of liblouis, but that table developers may not have software development skills. I did suggest how such a situation may be supported on MacOSX to make it easily installable.

Michael Whapples

On 07/09/2015 08:48, Davy Kager wrote:

LibLouis itself is not an end user tool and in my mind its really for the end
user application developers to create a suitable binary distribution.
Playing the devil's advocate here, but one notable exception I can think of is
screen reader software. I heard that Freedom Scientific is showing some
interest in liblouis (huge congrats to Bert and Christian if so). In these
long-life products it is desirable for the user to be able to update the
liblouis binaries independently of the encompassing application. I'm not sure
about the liblouis license, but the LGPL actually requires that this be
possible.

As a developer I also want to use the Windows tools, and thus the shared
library. I'd like to develop the Dutch tables on Windows, but I don't
necessarily want to install a toolchain on there. So issue #112 has my vote.