[liblouis-liblouisxml] Norwegian 8 dot tables

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 13:01:25 +1000

Hi all,

We now seem to have two Norwegian 8 dot tables: no-no.ctb (which NVDA currently calls "Norwegian 8 dot computer braille") and the new no-no-8dot.utb (which the header says is "Norwegian 8 dot"). The new table seems to include some duplicate dot patterns, so it isn't strictly "computer braille".

Is the old table supposed to be deprecated and superseded by the new table? Or are they both valid? If they're both valid, how should we describe them?

This seems to be an unfortunate pattern with some newer liblouis tables. A new table gets added for some (probably very good) reason and it seems to serve a similar purpose or have a similar purpose in an existing table, but there's no documentation about whether the new table deprecates the old one, whether the old table is still valid at all, how they're different, how they should be named from a user perspective (given that both have similar names), etc. I think it'd be useful if these issues can be clarified before a table is accepted. UEB is another example of this: new tables were added, but we already had existing tables, which makes for a very confusing mess. It's not currently clear (to me let alone anyone who doesn't know the history) as to which table should be used.

Also, any chance of including the file names for new tables in the release notes when tables are added, as well as notes and file names for any tables that got renamed?

Thanks!

Jamie

--
James Teh