[liblouis-liblouisxml] Math Tables

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 03:05:04 -0500

Especially for Mike Sivill,

I have decided to follow your lead and use the ordinary Grade Two table
for text in math material. The Science News magazine is doing so also.
The Grade Two table has been refined a great deal since the
en-us-mathtext.ctb table was made, and keeping the latter up-to-date
would be a real pain. I don't think experienced braille readers will
have any great problems. If there
are troublesome ambiguities they can be resolved by using an extension
table employing the correct and pass2 opcodes. In addition, the recent
fixes to the literary table to handle isolated punctuation marks make it
easier to produce correct punctuation in mathematical expressions.

I mentioned using escape sequences such as escape-b at the beginning of
math and escape-e at the end. This concept will be extended to rows and
columns in matrices and eventually to other situations. This will
necessitate some changes in the code for liblouisxml , but I'm exploring
software QA, so I hope to test them thoroughly before releasing them.

John J. boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
JJB Software, Inc.
http://www.jjb-software.com
Madison, WI USA