[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Louis

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:33:29 +0100

Hi

"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Thanks also for your discussion of the Windows build. I am happy with
> Michel's work, but it seems that only one person can make the
> binaries, and we're still trying to figure out the glitch with the
> latest releases.

As James says, the stuff that we have now can be built on windows using
cygwin or mingw. We just need to sit down and find where the problem is.
I think any of us could do it if they wanted to (not just Michel). We
basically have a working build system for windows, we just need to find
the problem.

> Meanwhile both libxml2 and xpdf have special setup files for producing
> the Windows binaries with Microsoft or other native compilers. I'm
> going to take a closer look at how xpdf does it, since that seems
> simpler.

I just quickly looked at how libxml2 and xpdf create their windows
builds. The one for libxml2 seems quite neat. However they are
essentially parallel build systems that are maintained by dedicated
persons. In our case that means that if we change something in the build
system we'd have to change in two places (and also intimately know both
systems). I would claim that this will quickly diverge, the build system
for windows will fall behind and we'll end up worse than we are now.

Take for example the mac build system for liblouisxml. It seems that it
is the same story: a parallel build system that hasn't seen any updates
and probably doesn't work anymore.

I for my part would way rather try to fix the problems with the current
build system and make it work on all platforms instead of trying to
create new build systems for each and every platform. If we had a
dedicated maintainer it would be a different story but as it is I think
we shouldn't spread ourselves too thinly.