[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: License of Afrikaans, Cherokee, Hawaiian, Maori, Sotho and Tswana tables

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 17:16:41 +0200

OK, let's reiterate for a moment.

1. First, are we sure there are in fact failures in the table? Otherwise
   we're just wasting our time. You provided us a couple of example
   sentences which I turned into harness tests, and all of these tests
   fail. Can you please confirm that the tests I made are correct? See

https://github.com/liblouis/liblouis/blob/b163d3312c104606b8a08b54845982899c95dfa5/tests/harness/chr-us-g1_harness.txt.
 If
   I understand correctly the problem occurs at punctuation marks
   following a Cherokee letter.

2. If there are indeed error they could be either in the UEB table or in
   the Cherokee table. If they are in the UEB table then please provide
   an example of a wrong translation. With only English characters, no
   Cherokee (unless the UEB specification says something about non-latin
   writing systems). Then the authors of the UEB table know what the
   problem is so they can do something about it.

3. If there is no error in the UEB table, it must be in the Cherokee
   table. Indeed, your tables simply extend UEB with a few character
   definitions. But that doesn't guarantee that a combination of English
   and Cherokee characters will be translated according to your
   expectations. These are the corner cases that Mesar is pointing at in
   this post:
   http://liblouis.org/posts/minimum_set_of_tests_for_a_table. It is the
   responsibility of the person who uses or includes another table to
   verify that this table actually works correctly for his language.

Best,
Bert