[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Is this the correct list to be on for learning about making braille tables for NVDA?

  • From: Mohammed Al Shara <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 14:10:10 +0300

Joseph, you're very very helpful, really thank you.

I have one difficult case, is that notepad++ and most good text editors use the Scintilla component which Currently does not support right-to-left languages (e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, etc and I intend to create a grade2 Arabic Table.

do you mind if you share with me that special build of NVDA that you have so that I can test real time? and perhaps teach me how to use it?

thank you very much
Mohammed.

On 6/1/2013 1:01 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I use Notepad++.
For testing, I use a custom branch of NvDA (which I have source code
of) which adds new entries for new tables I'm working on (or involved
with). For official submissions, I use checktable command (part of
Braille blaster package) to see if there are errors in the table (if
there are, then I fix it and do checktable again to make sure that
there are no errors), then I send the table file to this list (usually
its either John, Christian or Mesar who puts the tables on our source
code repository).
Currently I'm working on or am involved with the following tables:
* Korean: A set of two dictionary-based tables (grade 1 and 2) for
Korean characters. I'm working on optimizing the table package and
adding new rules for newest Korean braille standard.
* Unified English Braille (UeB): This is based on united States
braille code and adds UEB-specific rules. We do have older UeB tables,
however since it is outdated and has wrong rules, we're writing a new
one from scratch. Currently, I and Mesar Hameed are working together
on this one (Mesar is working on grade 2 while I'm working on adding
Unicode symbols to grade 1).
For braille table creation, it is best to have the following:
* A reference braille rule book to make sure the table you'll be
writing (or modifying) conforms to the rules written in the reference.
* Knowledge of the braille code for the country/language, mostly
useful for foreign language braille code. If the country uses more
than one braille code (e.g. United States), then it is best to know at
least one of them.
* A group of testers (including yourself) to test the table (either
reading the table file itself or as part of another software such as
NVDA). Preferably, having a braille transcriber in the testers group
means that your work can be verified easily.
* (If possible) A set of tests for the table (some sentences,
paragraphs, test cases such as mixed character/symbol/number
combinations, a book or two written in that braille code, etc.) to
enhance the quality of the tables.
For Sara: It is fine to ask the NvDA-specific lists about braille
codes (I think); for user feedback, it is best to ask the users list
on Freelists and ask that they send you their feedback to you directly
so you can also bring some difficult cases to this list for us to
discuss.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

On 6/1/13, Mohammed Al Shara <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you.

could you suggest one such editor? what do you use yourself? also, how
can I test the table? does it have to be compiled?

thanks a lot.
Mohammed.

On 6/1/2013 12:22 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
You don't have to use Linux to write tables (I use Windows). However,
you need an editor which supports UTF-8 character set and understands
Unix-style line endings.
Cheers,
Joseph

On 6/1/13, Mohammed Al Shara <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

does one have to necessarily be on Linux to be able to make up a new
braille table? I am not interested in programming, I only want to try to
create a new table. the documentation is lacking in this front. it does
give guidelines on how to create tables, however, it doesn't say
anything about prerequisites. it would be great if we could compile a
wiki page for people like myself and the original poster.

thank you.
Mohammed Al Shara.

On 6/1/2013 7:15 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Yes, this is the correct list. There are lots of knowledgeable people
here. Just ask your questions.

John

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:35:50PM -0500, Sara Quinton wrote:
Hello,
I asked on another list about a place to learn about braille tables
for NVDA. Is this the correct list for that topic?
Thanks.
Sara