[liblouis-liblouisxml] Inconsistent behavior with begcaps and endcaps

  • From: Bue Vester-Andersen <bue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 19:20:40 +0200

Hi,

the opcodes begcaps and endcaps do not behave consistently between forward
and backward translation if punctuation characters like - are involved.

With en-us-g2.ctb, you could try the combination USB-cable (yes, I know it
is not spelled like that in English, but pick a better example yourself).

USB-cable translates to
,,usb-ca#
which then back-translates to
USB-CABLE (all caps)

Besides, in many languages we don't have a specific endcaps marker other
than letsign or the presence of a punctuation character.

I would suggest the following:

1. Behavior should be consistent for begcaps between forward and backward
translation.

2. A new opcode called "autoendcaps characters". When this opcode is used,
the characters following autoendcaps imply the end of a sequence of capital
letters without the need for any further marker. It tells the translator to
use a new begcaps sign if another sequence of capital letters follows. It
also tells the back-translator to end the sequence of capital letters when
one of the characters after autoendcaps is encountered.

Best regards bue
.

project pages go to http://liblouis.org