[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Icelandic files or LibLouis (please see attached files, I am assmuming they will be allowed through)

  • From: Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:54:37 +0000

Sorry guys, I am fairly new to this and just realized the files need a lot more
work than I originally planned for.
I will resubmit tomorrow, along with a .pdf file with visual representations of
the braille patterns (the Excel document requires a proprietary font to display
these correctly), along with the new 6 and 8 dot files.

One question. We developed these as a one to one mapping between the Windows
1252 character set (256 char), and so we have braille symbols for the first 32
ascii characters, which are computer/control symbols that a user is extremely
unlikely to see in his/her lifetime.
Should I leave these in or should I simply take those out altogether?
The standard itself is fairly new, though we try to stick to conventions
(certainly the alphabet itself has not changed at all), but no one had formally
created this kind of table and, subsequently, it was hard to get Icelandic
included in international projects like LibLouis.
I am saying this because there is a slight chance of inconsistencies and
updates in the coming months. Our readers had no opinion on how certain things
should look when we asked for their input, but I expect them to have opinions
once we start using the standard to print texts, and so a few updates might be
necessary when we officially revise the standard at the beginning of next year.
Should not be anything major though.
Thanks
-Birkir