[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: ISO language code to table name mapping API

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:23:57 +1000

On 10/11/2009 9:06 AM, Michael Whapples wrote:
You're right about the last one (en-unified-g1-UEBC.utb) looking a bit
odd. My first comment (possibly incorrect not knowing fully about UEBC)
doesn't it duplicate information, doesn't the UEBC part say its unified
Braille for English?
Yes, it does. However, there could theoretically be multiple "unified" codes; e.g. NUBS (although it isn't officially ratified yet as far as I know). As I noted, the "extra" part specifies the code name if there is more than one.

It possibly raises the argument that file names are
not enough. As I understand it the UEBC table would apply to more than
one country (eg. Austraillia and Canada), so can apply to more than one
locale.
True enough.

Even if file names aren't used, I still think we need to clean up the current file naming mess. Perhaps they shouldn't be named by locale, but rather, by code name; e.g. en-ebae-g1.utb.

Jamie

--
James Teh
Email/MSN Messenger/Jabber: jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx