[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: How to produce text and melodi in braille

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 07:05:06 -0700

This is a good example of someone who might well use a pre-compiled CLI version
of liblouis and file2brl.

Could someone please tell me the files required to run file2brl?

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Apr 4, 2015, at 6:52 AM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Lars,

The -r option to file2brl first back-translates and then translates
using
the formatting parameters in the onfiguration setting. It would probably
handle the text but make a mess of the music notation.

BrailleBlaster has progressed a great deal in the last two years. A beta
version may be out soon. It does not require Java Bridge.

John

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 03:42:50PM +0200, Lars Bj�rndal wrote:
Hi, John!

I'll reply inline.

Music can be represented in xml. This could be translated to Braille
music notation, but it never got done. In fact there is a stub module
for this purpose in liblouisutdml. If someone wishes to develop this
module it should be a straightforward coding endeavor, though it may
require a good deal of effort.

That's good to know. For my concrete situation, I think it's much
easier to write up teh braille notes manually, than to first produce
the xml file. That way, I have good control on how to devide the
text/music into appropriate pieces.

So I was more looking for a way to reformat the result, so that the
pages is corectly filled and the page numbers ar replaced. What
actually does the -r option to file2brl do, could that be of any help?

The segmentation fault with the -l option did not occur in older
versions of file2brl . It was probably introduced when changes were made
to use the liblouis enhanced logging capability.

Yes, I think you are right.

Underlining such as you describe would be a departure from the way
liblouis and liblouisutdml work. It could be approximated using 8-dot
Braille.

I ment to use an example within six dot braille, not eight dot, sorry
for that. One way to devide into different heading levels is to
underline some of them. So I think it would be a nice feature to have.

BrailleBlaster will probably handle music eventually. Underlining could
be handled as a tactile graphic.

I rarely use GUI tools, so CLI or an emacs mode would be a better
approach to me,personally.

That said, twoonthsago, I tried BrailleBlaster with Window-Eyes and
the Java access bridge. I noticed that the focus didn't follow the
cursor while editing or switching between windows.

Lars

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 10:23:59PM +0200, Lars Bjørndal wrote:
Do any of you have ideas on how to write music, with text and melodi, in
braille? Let's say I have a HTML file with the text, and convert it with
file2brl. In the resulting brl text file, I could write the melodi. But
then, how can I reformat the content, so that the pages is filled with a
proper amount of characters?

Lars
project pages go to http://liblouis.org

--