[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Generating xml for Universal Tactile Document Files

  • From: John Gardner <john.gardner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:58:55 -0800

I'm not sure I understand the question Chris. Is your question about the proposal by the DAISY SVG Working Group to include invisible tactile layers in addition to visible SVG layers? If so, then yes, UTD is different. Braille is, crudely speaking, a tactile bit map representation of the words in the DAISY XML file, and the UTD tactile graphics portion would be a tactile bit map representation of the SVG tactile layer. The SVG images are not specific to any particular technology, but the UTD image would need to be embosser-specific. UTD is presently more of an idea than a specification, and it might be a good idea for UTD to include several copies of graphics formatted for a variety of embossers.

On 12/23/2009 9:46 AM, Chris von See wrote:
Aside from the braille labels, etc. how does UTD compare to SVG, which
is already supported by DAISY?

Chris von See
Senior Geek
TechAdapt, Inc.
http://www.techadapt.com
chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Save trees. Print only when necessary.

On Dec 23, 2009, at 9:39 AM, John Gardner wrote:

Hello all, I apologize - I should have introduced the concept of UTD
Universal Tactile Document before to the list. As John Boyer points
out, it is indeed something that ViewPlus has put forward, but we hope
it is far more useful than just for ViewPlus. It is useful today for
any embosser that can also emboss graphics and/or that can print ink
words.

UTD is being proposed as a superset of DAISY3 XML with extensions as
necessary to include a formatted tactile document. It will contain
braille of course with indicators connecting the braille with the
normal text. UTD is intended to serve as both a format used by
braille/tactile graphics/ink-print embossers and as a format that is
convenient for braille/tactile graphics translator software of the
future. By retaining the original DAISY document, it retains a great
deal of flexibility. So it's not really a superset of PEF.

John Gardner

On 12/23/2009 6:40 AM, Christian Egli wrote:
Hi John

"John J. Boyer"<john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The main thing now is to work out the specifications for the Universal
Tactile Documnt Language. These may be preliminary. They will draw on
ideas from the Portable Embosser File (PEF) language and from the rest
of Daisy xml.
I'm not sure you've introduced the idea of the Universal Tactile
Document Language before. Is it some kind of superset of PEF[1], i.e. a
page oriented xml format that contains Braille?

Thanks

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.daisy.org/projects/braille/braille_workarea/pef.php

--
________________________________

John Gardner | President | ViewPlus
541.754.4002 x 220 | www.viewplus.com
________________________________

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This message and any files transmitted
with it may be
proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual to
whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
disclosure, dissemination
or distribution is strictly prohibited; please notify the sender and
delete the message.
ViewPlus Technologies, Inc. accepts no liability for damage of any
kind resulting
from this email.