[liblouis-liblouisxml] Emphasis enhancements

  • From: "Michael Whapples" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mwhapples@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 08:27:27 +0100

Hello,
For LibLouisUTDML I have been asked to look at making it support transcriber notes in documents. Now one solution which has been suggested is to treat the transcriber notes like another type of emphasis, which if I understand correctly will mean changes to liblouis.

It has been suggested, if I am modifying the emphasis code for this, then whilst doing it then it might be worth preparing it for the emphasis requirements of UEB. I would need someone to explain what is needed by UEB if I were to do that.

So my question is whether anyone has started work on enhancing the emphasis capability of liblouis and whether there is a particular way this should be done.

I notice there is a branch origin/mwhapples_emphasis-dev, I am not sure where this came from. My only thought is that it might have been me creating a branch for John Boyer in the past on SVN, I don't know whether any work has been done on that branch.

I take it that additional types of emphasis will be using typeforms in the translation function calls. My only question is how many values will be needed in typeforms to be able to represent all emphasis we need, will it be maintainable/workable?

Treating transcriber notes could be done in other ways which would be purely handled by liblouisutdml, might that be better or do people want this available in liblouis?

Thoughts are certainly welcome.

Michael Whapples