[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Compressing whitespace on a node by node basis in LibLouisUTDML

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 20:18:38 +0000

I think this is coming back to a fairly recent bug report of not being able to achieve certain spacing when emphasis is used.

I don't think any action was taken over that issue, despite the reasonable suggestion that may be liblouisutdml should handle whitespace at the beginning and end of nodes as defined for the XHTML standard.

Using \s in the third column in my mind is totally unacceptable as it prevents one from ever having the two words run together, even when its the user's desire and they have followed the document format standard for achieving it.

PS. I think there are Braille notations for part emphasised words, just don't know them off hand, those cases are so rare one never really meets it.

Michael Whapples
On 12/03/2014 19:39, John Gardner wrote:
John, this is very strange.  How can one distinguish am emphasized letter or
phrase that is part of a word from emphasized words or phrases unless spaces
are explicitly indicated somehow?  If one writes in html and leaves out
spaces between two text spans, those two text spans have no space between
them in the output.

John G