[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Compiling liblouisxml on the mac: undefined symbols

  • From: Greg Williams <greg.williams.1978@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 02:15:32 -0500

Hi John,
Thanks for the explanation; I'm glad it wasn't me, but I also wish I would have realized it before wrestling with pkg-config. I downloaded the read-only directory from the svn. I found the instructions for the mac, and after trying unsuccessfully to run configure, I finally noticed autogen.sh and ran it with no arguments. When I ran configure with the resulting configure file, it gave a syntax error on line 19717:
PKG_CHECK_MODULES(BASE_DEPENDENCIES, liblouis, libxml-2.0)
and I found that changing it to
PKG_CHECK_MODULES liblouis, libxml-2.0
caused the configure script to complete successfully. Then I just had to fix the make and install scripts to use /usr/local (old habits die hard), and I now have it successfully installed. Thank you, and tomorrow will begin my usage questions.
Greg
PS Are you aware that the read-only directory that gets checked out is "liblousxml-read-only" (no "i")?

On Mar 15, 2009, at 8:15 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:

The problem is that the Mac does not have tee pkg-config program. I
don't know why Apple set it up that way. Trying to add the program will not help. There are instructions and a special Makefile and installation
file in the svn repository on the liblouisxml project page on
code.google. The Mac has a command-line svn client.

John

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 02:30:46AM -0500, Greg Williams wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to compile liblouisxml on a mac.  I have successfully
compiled liblouis.  The configure script ran with no problems for
liblouisxml, and the liblouisxml source compiled with just a couple of
warnings about signedness.  However, when it tries to link, it has
numerous undefined symbols which appear to be things it should be
finding in either liblouis or libxml.  In looking at the makefile and
the compile commands issued during the make process, the libray paths
and include paths are correct for both liblouis and libxml.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I can provide more
information if desired.  Thanks.
Greg

My websites:
GodTouches Digital Ministry, Inc. http://www.abilitiessoft.com/godtouches