[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Building for inclusion of the libraries in applications

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxx>
  • To: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:39:38 +0200

"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As things are now we have to have separate build scripts for
> applications like the Daisy Pipeline and BrailleBlaster, because the
> standard build script causes liblouisutdml.so to look in /usr/local/lib
> for liblouis.so . If the application is run on a different machine than
> that on which the libraries were compiled liblouis.so will not be in
> /usr/local/lib and the application will crash.

It will crash because the user failed to tell the program where the
library is installed. Well then the solution is to adapt the search path
(use LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

Changing the build system of liblouis (or liblouisutdml for that matter)
is putting the cart before the horse. It will work against the grain of
autotools and is a hack IMHO. I still fail to understand why you cannot
just install the libs in /usr/local/lib. Is it because you want to ship
precompiled binaries of it all? Then why don't you just package the libs
wherever you like and set the search path in the Daisy Pipeline and
BrailleBlaster?

I guess I really need to sit together with Bert and try to understand
this. Unfortunately he's away this week.

> Similar modifications will be needed for liblouisutdml and for the
> tools. I think these modififications should be made in the new release
> of liblouis.

If I understand correctly changing this will unnecessarily complicate the
life of the packagers for Linux distributions and will lessen their
incentive to package liblouis for their distribution.

Tag der offenen Tuer
Die SBS laedt Sie herzlich ein: 29. Juni 2013 von 9 bis 16 Uhr.
Mehr Informationen erhalten Sie unter http://www.sbs.ch/offenetuer