[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Bold Capital C

  • From: "Neil Soiffer" <Neils@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:13:23 -0700

I don't know what the proper thing to do in Nemeth is, but the "double
struck" characters are distinct from bold.  Unicode has a range of bold math
symbols starting at 1D400.  The double struck chars start at 1D538, but have
holes in them because some of the characters (such as the C) were already in
Unicode.  There was/is debate as to whether it was wise for Unicode to leave
the holes, but that's a different email thread.

The point of these plane one characters is that they are semantically
distinct from the regular letters in that you may well mix various font
variants of a letter in a mathematical text and the reader is suppose to
understand that they have different meanings.  This is great for
accessibility, but I'm sure Nemeth code covers them all... at least I don't
see anything appropriate listed in Appendix A of the "green" book, but that
is a pretty old book.  I also don't see how Fraktur symbols are represented
in Nemeth.

    Neil