[liblouis-liblouisxml] Back translation - starting with Italian and French

  • From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 23:45:02 +1000

Hello,
I'm working on a project that allows a blind person to enter Braille using
a touch screen on a mobile device. I'm looking to add back translation
capabilities to many of the liblouis tables that currently seem to only be
good for forward translation. Given I have users using French and Italian I
am starting with those.

To be honest I really don't know where to start. I've done a bit of reading
of some of the tables as well as the documentation of liblouis. I'm
thinking that I should just need to add more restrictions to the tables eg.
by using the before and after operators. Is this correct or is it not this
easy?

The other issue I'm having is that there seems to be limited documentation
on these tables especially around context. I only speak English, so it also
makes it hard that I'm not familiar with the codes.

A couple of specific questions:

1. I notice that back translation of numbers does not work in fr-fr-g1.
I presume number 1 should be #*. If I change digits6dotsPlusDot6.uti to
have lines with litdigit rather than "digit" eg. "digit 1 16" to "
litdigit 1 16" things seem to work correctly. This seems to effect a lot
of tables though. Is it wise to edit this file or should I just make a new
litdigits6DotsPlusDot6.uti file and define the dots here? Or am I just
doing this all wrong?
2. In Italian Braille there seem to be circumstances where certain dot
combinations represent either an accented character or some punctuation.
Not sure exactly the rules governing this and online docs seem vague. Is
anyone familiar with Italian Braille able to offer some help with this? Is
this again a case of using before and after rules to make this more
restrictive?
3. I have also been told that there are some characters in Italian that
are mapped to the same dot combinations irrelevant of context. Is this true
and if so how should I go about handling this in the Italian table?

I'm really keen to try and get a few of the more popular languages working
in liblouis and I'm sure this would help with many other projects like nvda.
If anyone can assist with any of this or would like to help with this
process I would be very grateful.

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,
Daniel Dalton