[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Adding comments to issues

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 08:02:11 +1000

On 17/10/2013 11:43 PM, Mesar Hameed wrote:
As you probably saw by the svn email notifications, everything that is
done is reflected in text files in svn, so both John and I don't have to
use the web, we can just edit using a standard text editor and commit as
normal, just like we do when editing code.
Isn't that bound to cause many conflicts if someone is editing from the web while you (perhaps multiple people) are editing offline? Also, it makes the email notification for bugs rather obfuscated.

I also notice there's no way to put metadata on the bug; e.g. status, assignee, milestone, dependencies, etc. You could just put such data in comments, but that makes it very difficult to see this info at a glance or search by it. Being largely responsible for NVDA releases, I've found this ability to be very important for managing releases properly.

In addition, quick linking to other issues and commits is imo very important, but I imagine that might be possible with some tweaking.

FWIW, we've managed to avoid most (but not all) spam on the NVDA Trac instance by putting this question on the registration form: "For spam prevention, please type the name of the screen reader available from this web site. Your answer should be four capital letters with no spaces." That's obviously incredibly simple and easy for a human to solve. However, because it's a site specific question, automated trackers won't get it, so there has to be human involvement. We're not Google or Facebook, so human involvement is far less easy to justify. :)

Jamie

--
James Teh
Director, NV Access Limited