[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: A new liblouis?

  • From: Aaron Cannon <cannona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 22:32:02 -0500

Responding to many of these points below:

On 10/26/13, Ken Perry <kperry@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Remember light weight also means less functions which means less power if
> you have tried doing string processing in 0python, gawk, perl.  Then tried
> it in a LUA embedded script you wil find there is stuff that is just
> missing.

This is true.  There are very few batteries included with Lua.
However, the ease with which a developer can add bindings to C
libraries makes this much less of an issue than it could be, IMHO.

> Not only that depending on how you implement LUA you end up with
> totally different functionality.  It is very important to use something
> people can get plenty of documentation for and things like python and perl
> and even javascript are much better supported languages.

Unless you are modifying the core, I don't believe that this is true.
The functions and objects made available by the developer can of
course very from project to project, depending on what is needed, but
the core Lua language stays the same.  This flexibility is a good
thing.  It allows the developers to include only what is needed, and
not the rest.

As for documentation, the language is simple, and a quick Google shows
many good sources for learning.  Clearly there are other languages
with more users and more sites about them, but Lua users are by no
means left without resources.

Aaron