[leveller] Re: Leveller exports

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:16:48 -0700

I don't think the precision would affect anything... even single-precision floats have more than enough range for typical terrain applications. One might get some small loss of precision at large magnitudes, but clipping or lopping shouldn't happen.

Can you send the file to me? I can then at least verify what is getting exported and that the file doesn't contain clipped/lopped values.

Ray

Carl Lingard wrote:
Sorry, I located the plugin (it was in the wrong directory...) and have tried to export the file as a DSRB to import into Global Mapper. I've also tried the DSBB with the same results. I'm not sure if the problem is with the exporter, Global Mapper, the file format itself, or with my understanding of it. The files I have used are 10K, 5K, 1K square, all at 200m world scale point spacing. The calc button in the exporter dialog maps the elevation range as 1195.4041 to 10343.707 and the X,Y as one would expect..

I've managed to import the file into GM but I'm wondering if the elevation range is sufficient because the top third of mountain ranges is cut off- there are holes. Predictably, the larger the elevation range I specify in the export the more definition the terrain has in GM. The range produced by the calc button produces a file which GM cannot import or read. So I have tried other values, including negative values to increase the range- no luck. The maximum range that it will accept is 0 to 32000, which produces the lopping off effect. The help file for the plugin states that DSRB uses 64 bit doubles.
Would this be enough precision for the file and would a lack of precision explain the missing data ?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Gardener" <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>