[leveller] Leveller 2.5 news, TabletPaint 0.2.5

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:48:51 -0700

Just a quick note on Leveller 2.5 progress.

Tablet integration went well; pressure-sensitive brush force and brush
sizing are in. Some tasks remaining, such as SDK updating, example
brushtool plug-in revision, Smudge tool, new dialog boxes, etc.

Brushmask system had to be revamped to support pressure-based radii.
Since Leveller goes up to brush diameters of 200 pixels the brushmask
cache needs 11 MB to avoid thrashing. If you don't need diameters above
100, however, you can get by with 1 MB.

The Tween tool has an inherent problem in that as one lifts the stylus,
pressure goes down so a dimple gets created around the pen-up location
just as one is often finishing a mound. This can be solved by only
letting the tool replace lower elevations and not higher ones, but that
means not being able to use lower pressure later during an edit.
TabletPaint has been adjusted with a second Tween tool to demonstrate
the difference; once I got used to it I found it actually is handy
at making hill formations, more precisely than dig/raise when small
brush sizes are used. But I'll let others be the judge. :)
   http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/download/tabletpaint.zip

Ray