[leveller] Re: Image overlay utility

  • From: "Carl Lingard" <lingardc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 16:57:03 +0100

I'm comfortable with manually doing things to a point. I use Leveller for the
painting tools and the 3D view. Yes, it's kinda like the music recording
analogy, where you'll spend hours painstakingly digitally correcting a
recording, rather than just record it again. I think you learn with experience
where the tipping point comes between procedurals and painterly approach. I
think World Machine's vector tools are excellent- the controllable fractal
breakup applied to the vector shapes works really well, but they're limited
without procedural vector generation.

 Building at any great scale just can't be done. I've compared the results in a
planetary renderer, and procedural terrain just looks really poor frankly.
Small areas can be done really well, but anything beyond that, forget it. I've
recently tried a new workflow which uses real terrain and the results are WAY
better than my old approach. This is also a faster process than what I did in
World Machine using splines, the results speak for themselves really.
http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=326.30

 The downsides are that you are locked into the resolution of the source data,
and you can't guarantee correct drainage at the smaller scales (I can get it at
larger scales because I use two layers of terrain: a low res base with correct
flow, and the top r-w terrain layer). Fortunately there's enough fractal
information in the terrain to offset that- it's complicated enough to prevent
you easily seeing the obvious defects (if you even care about correct flow).
 It'd be great to be able to work in watersheds. I define my terrain by
mountain ranges, hilly areas, and rivers. For me, rivers are probably the most
important feature on the landscape because they define the landscape at every
point.If I could divide the map up into watersheds (from continental divide,
downwards), I'd work on those as individual polygons, but the tools aren't
there to work at those scales anyway, and finding real world terrain watersheds
that match the shapes of the poly would be a very time consuming process, and
wouldn't guarantee correcr flow in any case.

Well, you can divide the entire planet into watersheds. It may not be visually
obvious which way water will flow (such as it is in mountain ranges), but
gravity takes care of that at every
point.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drainage_basin I think what we need is a way
to duplicate that image top right in the last link.The user defines the extents
of the catchment area, and also the face on the poly that represents the
highest gorund. Or rather, provide a tool that enables you to draw the main
backbone ridge. You would then have a tool that generates an l-system-like
river network within those two constraints.
 Global Mapper has a watershed analysis tool, which you can run on any terrain,
which outputs polygon areas. That could be a useful bit of code, but I don't
know how straightforward something like that would be to implement.
 To be able to generate an interdigitating network of ridges from that initial
river network would be another major asset.You could go the other way and just
provide the tools to gen the ridges and let erosion take care of the rest.Maybe
provide simple spline to draw the backbone ridge and then be able to grow trees
of ridges off that.Or, define watersheds that lie along the main blackbone and
then gen the trees withn those constraints again.

 I think either way you do it, you'd need to store the networks with a
hierarchical description, that'd make manipulation of them for other things
possible. Maybe use Strahler networks.

Just throwing some ideas.

Carl