[lektrik_flyers] flying Saturday

  • From: Bill Beavers <bbeavers57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lekrik Flyers List <lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 08:05:09 -0700 (PDT)

Enjoyed the flying Saturday.  We had a good mix of
different planes on hand, and got to chit chat a lot
about different motors and stuff.  Lots of the gang
from Beaverfork were on hand, thanks guys for coming
out.  Greg Clayton and Phil Johnson gave the SR-71
(Phil built it) his best shot, but that bird had a
mind of its own when it left the launchpad.  It sure
looked cool though..  Maybe a few tweaks here and
there but I am not sure how well it will ever fly.

Those little thunder planes that David Irwin and David
Reid have are fun to watch.  They fly like little
hawks, and are screamers.  I kept getting a little
wind off David Irwin's everytime he made a pass.  I
expected to have it in my ear at any moment, but
thankfully David is too good a pilot to let that
happen.  Now if it were me... hee hee...

Those insulator fanfold rigs are nice too.  I need to
build one of those.  they just seem to fly great, and
have good speed and yet seem soft on the landings.
Well most of the landings! ;-)  David I. can tell you
more about that.

I flew the C130 again.  It flies really well, but it
does NOT like the wind and it was a bit windy for it
that time out, and I broke the wing again.  Doesn't
appear to be to serious though, so hope to have it
fixed in a jiffy.  The A10 even after the nose
overhaul and moving the battery to the front just
refuses to leave the ground from the ball court.  I
need about 10 more feet of runway I think.  I am going
to take it to Westside Elem. here in Greenbrier first
opportunity I get again and see if I can't get that
thing figured out.

Just wanted to give everybody an update on the flying
yesterday.  We had a LOT of birds in the air at once.
Sounded like a big bee hive.  The park guests seemed
to be having a hoot watching the whole spectacle.

Hope we can fly again some this week or for sure next
Saturday.  I'll be working on the "pseudo p38" in the
meantime.

Hey have got a question about that.  Does anyone know
if the rear stab for the p38 had an elevator, or did
it do some kind of elevator/flap thing on the main
wing down from the ailerons?  the pics I have looked
at on that bird don't seem to indicate much if any of
an elevator back there, so I was wondering if they did
some kind of pitch thing with the main wing?  Is that
possible?  Could you put the up and down surfaces on
the main wing just inside the ailerons?  That would be
kind of cool actually, but how aerodynamic would it
be? Any insights appreciated. Oh, and if there are any
videos showing the working surfaces of a p38 that
would help me out too.

Bill Beavers
Director of Technology
Vilonia School District