[LRflex] Re: why leicas are expensive

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:31:50 +0100

Javier,
one of the main problems is still the fact that the cost of employing
someone (to the employer) in Germany is exorbitant.
Social security, half of the health insurance, pension contributions,
unemployment benefit contributions etc etc
Leica is of course strung up by the goolies because they can't really
afford to give up the "Made in Germany" aspect of the business.
At present they are trying to reduce their workforce again, a hard
battle with the workers council over "golden handshakes" and other
benefits is very much the order of the day, supposed to be going to be
resolved today,  so we can expect more news in the paper tomorrow or on
Monday..
At present there are about 400 people at Leica in Germany (nearly a
thousand total around the world includig Germany), I expect Leica will
attempt to halve this number. In the middle of the last crisis Leica
management mentioned that it would be more expensive to lay people off
than to keep them working, this gives a little insight into the
economics of the thing.
Douglas