[LRflex] Re: urprise? Hmmm ?

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:13:02 -0500

Hello!
I can't help with the question other than to theorize, but I can confirm that
#2 opened as a grey nothing for me to.
My theory as to your raw file experience is to wonder whether SilkyPix has a) a
dedicated profile for the camera you worry about or b) whether it's a 'quality'
profile. In my experience, limited as it might be, not all profiles and not all
raw converters are up to the standards they really can reach.
Sincerely
Richard in Michigan

On Feb 18, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good Day Flexers.

I have no superb images to offer, Marc Dufour has presented lately something I
would not compete with.... Bravo Camarade !

No, really, my 'niche', a.K.a 'speciality' is rather the 'what do I get
when.....'

Today, something rather interesting and a quizz to win a superb post card of
Paris.

I have been using the Compact Lumix LX5 and wondered if a Raw image is as Raw
as on the Digilux 3. In fact the LX5 comes in a second or even third generation
after the Digilux3 and often the solution to resolve a need is different.

All right, not teasing more, let's dive. Here is a picture taken in raw mode,
developped with Silkypix, normal, the white balance was rather set to another
specific place, my underground, hence the blueish cast, mostly due to a end of
a sunny day while the main light was artificial:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010733_dev.jpg

Now, same compact LX5, same light but I applied a different 'taste' of film,
dynamic B&W, here is the Jpeg, resized:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_root.jpg

All right, a few Bretzel have gone, the image may look a bit muddy (but not
that bad, any way, at resolution of 1200 dots, you can hardly say
otherwise....). Now, look at the raw image stored by the camera and plainly
developped in Silkypix (version 5, all of them anyway):

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/BWSurpriseLX5/P1010736_dev.jpg

To tell you, when the last image is opened by silkypix, it shows out of range
values for the balance.....

Now, quizz: what is the idea behind this set up, why is it much better to
develop inboard an image like this?

Your postcard is on the way.....

To finish up, the raw images of taste B&W dynamic taken with the Digilux 3 do
not look like this. Here on the compact, it's a trick to optimize another
process..... Why not!

A very interesting system apprach, in my eye. I'll tell you what is behind...
Cheers!
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France