[LRflex] Re: travis terry...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:36:15 -0700

On Aug 24, 2007, at 7:56 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve Barbour offered:
Subject: [LRflex] travis terry...

>>I just returned from the Canyon de Chelly,  and Winslow,  Arizona...

By coincidence, at Canyon de Chelly I  met Travis Terry a friend and

a great Native American Flute player...

He agreed to sit right there on the edge of the canyon,  and play his

flute...while I took a photo...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2007/ ttfbw.jpg.html<<<<<<<<

Hi Steve,

Very interesting and nicely open shadows due to lots of reflective area.

But a minor suggestion. Look at the light and shooting from the shadow side? You are not on it! The shadow side if at all possible would've been a slight turn to his left. It wouldn't have been much and maybe a slight move to your left would've made it work.

It would've given a much better shadow and highlight ratio form to the subject. Actually this is one of those photographs and lighting situations you really need to see it both ways to appreciate the quality difference. But I don’t have any doubt, as nice as this is, if you’d shot from the shadow side, even though it might have required subject to very slightly move, it would’ve lifted this photo moment ten fold to the sky!

I wish I had Ted... I think the midday Arizona sun was cooking my brain...Steve

Yep this works, but the slight move allowing you to shoot from the shadow side would’ve made a huge positive difference.

ted