[LRflex] Re: tomi....

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:19:05 -0700

Steve Barbour showed:
Subject: [LRflex] tomi....

> the beautiful faces of dementia....
>
> bw
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/dementia/tomiwalkerbw.jpg.html

color...
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/dementia/tomiwalker.jpg.html
>
> do you find the color adds anything?

Hi Steve,
The B&W creates an entirely different feeling, some how a quietness one
associates with the situation as we see it. A calmness the principles evoke in
themselves as we see them. The colours distract from the message one feels in
the B&W. And I mean that through out the series to this point.

Your title "The Beautiful faces of Dementia." comes through much stronger in
B&W without the distraction of any colour. The minute you put colour mixed
within the B&W the overall effect will deteriorate.

Your other post,   >>>  fusako and tikwa...<<< is a beautiful moment and
presents a question we'll never know.... "I wonder what she is thinking?"  Or
"what does it symbolize within her vanishing mind?" We shall never know, but
it's such a strong statement of the mental situation.

Ok maybe I'm getting too deep thought wise and should just stick to... "A most
interesting photograph" that only B&W makes it so powerful because.... "THERE
ARE NO COLORS TO DISTRACT FROM THE CONTENT MOMENT!" This photo is all content
and has absolutely nothing to do with interrupting colours.

Once again beautiful work, you have to stay with it considering the wonder
captured moments we've seen so far. It will be a book!!! And is beginning to
have a content look that I can't imagine a major book publisher wouldn't pick
it up. Or published through one of the National Mental Health Organizations as
a fund raiser book.
Carry on mon ami, carry on!
cheers
ted