[LRflex] Re: thoughts ?

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 07:10:03 -0800

On Feb 14, 2012, at 12:36 AM, Miha Golobic wrote:

> Herman, thanks for you words; you are quite correct that my intentions were
> sincere, and so were Steve's.
> Steve, as a member of this list since 2008, I'm very well aware of your
> project. I have been here from the very first day, supporting you as did
> everybody else. But no matter what anyone else say, I still believe you
> shouldn't have published this very photo, for the reasons explained already.

thank you for stating your opinion Miha, I truly understand your feelings. The
photo of this man was "published"  here to generate a discussion of content and
its implications on the choice of bw vs color...It has certainly done that. It
was not published in my book as it didn't make the cut, for a variety of
reasons.  It just wasn't good enough to be placed in the company of the
published group.
The reasons that it is not in the book were many, but these included its story
telling ability based on content, technical quality, sensitivity to the person,
and compassion for the person photographed, based on the very delicate balance
of its emotional impact on the viewer. This was based on the feeling that
neither its color nor bw versions, in fairness to the subject, did him justice.
All of the images in the book are bw, including this image, which was an even
tougher choice. Here it is in the color version....

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2012/tomiflower.jpg.html

Thank you Miha, and all of you,  for a compelling, and at times wrenching
discussion.

Steve