[LRflex] Re: the ND Fader Filter? Part Deaux...

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:30:24 -0700

Hi all. I know two landscape photographers personally who use them. One uses the Singh-Ray version and another a Heliopan, and have not found any of the inconsistencies mentioned in the review David listed. Perhaps the quality of the filters has something to do with that. You get what you pay for, perhaps

I have been thinking of getting one, but I need 77mm. OUCH. I have tried two polarizing filters in the distant past, but found a pretty good color shift, very blue. But with digital and RAW and white balance, maybe that is not a problem and you might try two filters. However, they get quite thick and could vignette pretty badly. I should try it again. I have a thin B+W and a nice Heliopan I could put together and see what happens.

Aram

-----Original Message----- From: David Young
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:05 AM
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: the ND Fader Filter? Part Deaux...

Xavier!

I hit "send" to soon.  In  another review of the SRB VD filter, they say;

A variable ND is two sheets of polarising filter mounted in a filter
ring. The front sheet rotates and the rear stays still and by turning
you reduce light transmission. Considering all this, the filter is
surprisingly slim and only weighs 40g.

This confirms my theory of how they are made and work.  However, the
illumination test in the review shows that there are some substantial
differences in evenness.

See: http://tinyurl.com/d7u6m9g

The unevenness of exposure, especially when at the darkest settings, makes me
wonder about the wisdom of the idea, as opposed to some stacked, standard ND
filters, which may have some distortion (in lower priced units) but at least
the illumination should be even.

Still, at the low cost, one might be worth a try!

David.

Dear Flexers

On Fleabay, I've come across a product named 'Fader ND2 ND400'

It's obviously a filter made of two parts rotating with each other such
as a a Polarizing filter.

This Fader has a scale and an index to match the scale, every mark does
a ND ponderation.

Who has tried it, any good?

Thanks for the input.

From : Xavier F. BILLE