[LRflex] Re: the ND Fader Filter? Part Deaux...

  • From: Bob Adler <rgacpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:36:45 -0700

What I have learned is that, at the darker settings, there can be a significant
amount of IR pollution that can produce severe (and virtually impossible to
remove) lens color cast. One should either put an IR cut filter in front or buy
the newer variable ND filters with IR cut coating built in. From B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/photography/buying-guides/hdslr-guide-chapter-4-filters
One important thing to be cautious of when using ND filters is infrared (IR)
light pollution. ND filters cut down visible light, but don't cut down light in
the infrared spectrum. With each stage of ND filter, IR light transmission is
increased, causing desaturated colors and low contrast images. This issue is
most noticeable in a scene with a lot of green, like grass and trees—the green
colors shift toward the reds and become more of a muddy brown. IR pollution
complicates things in post production and limits the color-grading process for
HDSLRs. In order to combat this issue, filters that cut down on IR need to be
utilized when heavy ND filters are used.

The main options for cutting down IR pollution are the use of a separate IR
filter in front of the other filters (only one should be used), or the use of
ND filters that include an IR blocking layer. The latter is ideal because it
results in less glass in front of the lens.

Bob
Sent from my iPad