[LRFlex] test

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:00:44 -0700

When I read my post below I see all kinds of extra text - AK's and other things. Yet in this reply they are not showing. Strange......

Just testing...

From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Is anyone using a R4?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:20:08 -0700

Pat. I have an R4 of the 16xxxxx vintage. Workes quite well. I hasn't seen much use lately. Like my R8 much better, but if I am going on a long walk/hike I'll take the R4 because it is much lighter. Metering has always been a problem, NOT because of the camera but because of me. I wish it had manual metering in something other than the spot mode. The R8 has spot, center weighted or matrix metering in all modes. I also wish the +/- override was easier. It is a piece of cake with the R8. I don't even have to take my eyes off the viewfinder.

So, it is dependable, light, but not my cup of tea after using the R8.

Aram

From: "Pat Foster" <foster12158@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Is anyone using a R4?
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:19:54 -0400

i've just bought a R4 in fine condition, serial # 161XXXX. My previous experience with Leica reflexes has been with Leicaflex SL, my principal reflex shooter, and the Leicaflex Standard; the price was particularly attractive on my R4 and I thought I'd give an automatic exposure Leica a try.

While I'd never mistake the R4 for a Leicaflex, I'm finding my new camera quite pleasant to use. The exposure automation, the first for me on any camera, is certainly convenient for casual shooting. The several rolls of B&W that I've run through the R4 indicate that all of the modes are working properly.

I've formed the impression that most of the people on this forum are using later model Leica reflexes than the R4. I'm curious to hear comments froim forum members who do shoot with a R4.

One question that naturally comes up is the expected reliability of the later model R4's. How are the cameras with serial number over 1600000 hold up for people?