[LRflex] Re: stand-alone DNG storage

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 15:05:15 -0700

At 04/05/2006, you wrote:

>I'll be away from A/C power for 10 days in June and I'm considering
>my options for storing and backing up my DMR files.  I'll have
>12-volt power available for re-charging the DMR's batteries, and no
>laptop computer.  What are the options for 12-volt or
>battery-powered backups?  Could be CD burners, hard drives,
>whatever.  All suggestions are welcome.
>

>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Hi Doug!

I use the Epson P-2000.  It does not support .dng files, so it will
not display the photos... but it does hold and return .dng files just
fine.  It will download about a dozen full 2gb cards on a charge, but
then must be recharges on 110V.  (A 12v battery and a small inverter
should do it!)

Alternatives...

A CD burner, coming from
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Sony-Delivers-Portable-CD-Burner-Photo-Vault-Targets-Mobile-Photographers.htm

Should be good.  Not yet available.

I have seen the Apacer CD burner, and it works quite well.  Not sure
is it supports .dng but the one I saw did well with .CR2
files.  Advantage is if travelling in 3rd world countries, you can
make 2 copies - keep one, mail the other.  Chances are, you will not
[a] be robbed and [b] lose the other in the mail, so when you get
home you should see at least one CD containing your photos.

Apacer makes their 200 CD burner and 300 DVD/CD burners.  Both
portable.  Both need to be recharged w/110V.  (Again, a 12v battery +
small inverter should do.)

See these and other alternatives at: http://www.henrys.com/storage/

Hope this helps!

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt