[LRflex] Re: stand-alone DNG storage

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:25:43 -0700

At 04/05/2006, you wrote:

>Doug.
>
>If your electronic data storage device requires a 120 V, 60 Hz
>source that is smooth and constant, your cheap, Radio Shack
>type of inverter will not give that.
>
>jerry
>
>Douglas Herr wrote:
>
> > David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >  a small inverter
> >
> > I looked up inverters and... I had no idea they were so
> inexpensive!  Thanks for the suggestion.
> >
> > Doug Herr

Doug & Jerry:

It is true.. .the inexpensive inverters do not yield AC, but rather a
chopped, alternating DC signal.  However, virtually all chargers are
a small transformer, which converts the 110 back to 18 or 12 or 9 or
6 or whatever voltage the unit needs to charge with, and then
converts it to DC for charging.  Thus, small inverters will usually
be quite sufficient.

The do generate 'noise' of their own, which will often result in
'noise' in a Ghetto Blaster, radio or similar audio device.  This is
usually not a problem for charging batteries.

Just my 2 cents worth ... but based on 30 yrs in the retail electronics trade.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Limited Edition Prints at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/prints.htm
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:  http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm