[LRFlex] Re: stacked extenders

  • From: Jim Hemenway <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:09:55 -0400

Hmmm... I have the very excellent Telyt-R 4.8/350mm and the 2X. The next time that I have more money than sense, (happens a lot) I'll see about buying a 1.4x to try this out.

Jim

Ted Grant wrote:

Jim Hemenway said:
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: stacked extenders

I wouldn't have guessed that stacking the two extenders would produce such a great result... questionable "artistic merit". ;-)<

Hi Jim,
Stacking extenders is something I've done for many years and it works beautifully! Not to forget excellently!

Using the 1.4 or 2X alone you can' tell an extender is in use.... on any lens. Although the 1.4 due to deign is limited to which lens it can be used with. However, the 2X can be hooked onto any lens with great results. I use them just for the heck of it sometimes just to see what happens, like putting the 2X on the 15mm super wide! ;-) so in effect it doubles every lens I have. ;-)

But put them together and it opens up a whole new world of seeing and capturing different looking photos. Now to get really magical, take say the 280 2.8, add the 2 extenders and the macro adapter and things begin to happen that will blow your mind visually! And with excellent results.

When I first thought of doing this I wondered if it would cause any "connection damage?" So I just went a head and did it while mounting each in turn carefully. Each one clicked in easily and without any strange breaking grinding sounds.. so it was... "What the heck go for it and see what the results looked like!" ;-)

Blew me away completely screening the results.

Then I called Leica and asked if there would be any damage... like closing the barn door later. ;-) Their comment? "We don't recommend doing it!" Me, "Why?" No logical response other than, " we don't recommend it." Me, "well maybe you guys should try it as it opens a whole new world of Leica created photography! I did it and the images are beautiful."

So I've been a user of multi extenders since the 2 sizes were available on the market.

Besides with the 280 2.8 plus 1.4 & 2X extender the lens becomes an 800mm f 8.0 hand holdable lens! ;-) And that's wild! :-) Been there done it many many times!

ted

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm