[LRFlex] Re: shotgun approach---bad! bad!

  • From: Kevin Mayo <mayokevin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:16:45 -0700 (PDT)

I always felt the rip and burn guys were always reloading during the decisive
moment.
Kevin

Steven Rosenthal <steverose108@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Right on Neil, I think the photo world started down this 'slippery slope'
with the advent of motor drive Nikons and it has just gone downhill from
there. Also photographers paid on staff, burning up rolls of color film
someone else was buying each assignment, in hopes of sifting thru them and
finding one Pulitzer winner amongst them. I think, an M60 approach, not even
shotgun.

Back in the days of the 4x5 Speed Graphic (which I still shoot with for fun
sometimes) you thought long and hard before pressing the button...many were
independents buying their own film and paying for their own lab, or like
Weegee, developing it in the trunk of their car on the way back to downtown
Manhattan to flog their gory shots at the highest price to the several
editors they would have as buyers.

The young trainees were sent out with a couple of film holders and told
something akin to what the USMC snipers are taught... one bullet, one kill!

Unlimited 'free exposures' on digital have just added to this trend, I
think... The antidote is spend some time with one camera, one fixed lens,
maybe even black and white, and slow down and smell the roses, so to speak!
The real cure is to try a view camera, not for everyone, I realize but if
you like it there is nothing else to compare with the way you can spend all
day having a great time, shoot maybe a only couple photos but have them
worth the time and effort.

Yours, Steve

www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm