[LRFlex] Re: shift lenses

  • From: Noel Yates <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:10:25 +0100

>>At 05:06 27/07/2004, Xavier wrote:

>>Reading a book about digital Photo technique, I've seen that Photo shop has
>>a menu for persepective control. So, are those lens really useful?

Yes Photoshop can correct verticals and horizontals but inserts pixels to get the image back to a rectangle (or square).

Shift lenses can be used for panoramics as well: full shift left for the first image, full shift right for a second then stitch together in Photoshop. At a pinch you could also turn your Leica M into a shift camera with a PA-Curtagon/PC-Super-Angulon/Arsat and a Novoflex R lens to M body adaptor. Shift lenses are also high-performing wide-angles when not shifted because you only use the centre of their larger-than-normal image circle.

I am biased because for me the 35mm focal length is easily the most useful so I have 35 Elmarit for lightness when out and about, a 35 Summicron (the old heavy version) for when the light is low, 35 PA-Curtagon (not just for its shifting, it's also light in weight) and the pre-ASPH 35 Summilux-M.

Noel