[LRFlex] Re: seeing life backwards...

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:36:05 -0700

Here is another method. I use to do this with my Rollei SL-35, so I had a reversing ring that was 49mm for the filter thread and Pentax Universal (is that 42mm??) on the other end. I just recycled that ring to my Leica. I got a 55-49 filter adapter and then the Universal screw goes to a T-mount for Leica adaptor. Works like a charm. I alrready had the T-mount adaptor for my microscope adaptor, so all I needed was the 55-49.

Aram

From: NATSTEK@xxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: seeing life backwards...
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:57:37 EDT

David & all,

As far as I know, there is no adapter to mount a "R" series, or for that
matter, any "M, or Screw" lens reversed on a Leica Bellows.

Now, with that being said, about 10 years ago I did what you inquired about,
I "Made" a reverse adapter from a SL body cap.

I cut a hole in the cap, large enough to accept a 49mm reverse " Macro ring,
the male to male one, but made for a pentax. I mounted a 50mm 2cam summicron
in reverse. I used a 44mm (basically series VI)-to-49mm step-up ring, then
screwed the male-to-male 49mm into it, stuck it through the hole in the body cap,
and locked the exposed threads in place with a 49mm filter that I had removed
a very scratched filter glass from. I sealed the entire outer ring in place
with black, silicone caulk, to both lock seal it and seal off all light.

I then mounted the body cap/lens combo on the front of a bellows R, and shot
away. The advantage of the series VI ring, was that I also had an earlier
version of the 35mm f/2 Summicron which conveniently used the same ring. However,
if you are lucky enough to have a 2cam "U.S. Navy" version of the 35cron, it
already was modified to accept 49mm filters by Leitz, per USN specs.

I was "talked-out of" the homemade adapter rig by a friend of mine who
offered me an obscene amount of cash for the 35, 50 and mounting rig, ($1,000.00,
and that was 1993 dollars).

Oh well, I never got around to making another one. I also used a Cokin flash,
the one that is multi-dedicated and has 3 rotatable flash heads & mounts on
the Cokin "A" system adapters. I kept the flash, and still use it regularly on
my (GULP) Kiev 60!, with great results.

Hope that helps.

Art