[LRflex] Re: scanner

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:20:25 -0500

Hi Axel,
    I wanted to kick out a somewhat different film scanner option for
you to consider. It's to get  a used SCSI Film Scanner and run it
using VueScan Software.
Because:
a) getting 'great' film scans with a Flatbed Scanner can  be a very
fiddly process (emphasis on can).
b) SCSI is a 'nearly' extinct interface, so used SCSI equipment is
comparatively cheap
c) Firewire is NOT extinct and SCSI to Firewire adapters aren't
especially expensive - if your Tower/Laptop doesn't have a FW400 port,
then pci and pc slot cards are easily and cheaply available

To be honest, I was once quite enamored with the thought of cheaply
accomplishing my 35mm, 120, and 4x5, scanning needs with my lovely
Canon Scanner. Alas getting the 'film plane' of my negatives & slides
to be aligned within the Depth of Field of the Scanning Lens' zone of
best focus and clarity proved to be devilishly time consuming. ie:
there is a good reason a company out there sells pricey negative
holders for flatbed film scanning - they're filling a genuine need. I
couldn't pay for one, but I suspect making 'Leica' film look 'Leica-
Like' may prove frustrating without one!

It all boils down to what one wants to be doing with one's scans I
guess.

I went with an early Canoscan FS2710 35mm film scanner and a Firewire
to SCSI adapter - together under 100 bucks iirc.

The FS2710 is giving me consistently nice scans - but I've only done a
few test shots at this point. I've been coping with some severe side
effects from a medication I had to start taking and haven't been doing
a lot of things lately! For example: there is a good reason I want to
advise skipping the FS2710 & I think it's because of it being one
generation to old to have an autoadvancing film carrier, but I have
zero confidence that is why or even if I really do want advise to not
get an fs2710. Essentially, I'm an intermittent dullard! Sigh.

I am quite confident of  SCSI being a way to avoid rousing the ire of
the Misses over piddling away money!

Sincerely
Richard in Michigan

Anyway...