[LRFlex] Re: new zoom lens

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:19:21 -0700

Doug Herr offered:
> Dave, if I'm doing the math correctly we're both 52.  I'm showing signs of
> arthritis too in the hands & right shoulder.  This is one of the things
that
> got me using the monopod along with the shoudler stock for my long-lens
> photos.>>

Hi Doug,
At the moment I don't seem to have arthritis, touch wood. Lots of "old
fashion aches and pains." ;-) However I had to switch from complete use of
the shoulder stock micro-switch pistol grip for long glass, 280 and longer,
due to my 65th birthday gift. ;-)  My first and only solo parachute jump!
:-)

Yeah what the hell, I always wanted to do it while shooting from choppers
over the years and finally it seemed it would make a neat birthday gift at
65. :-) And if I didn't do it then I'd be considered "way too old at 66!"
;-)

Everything went fine accept for a slight landing glitch coming in a little
fast and not doing the hit and roll quite correctly, so it kinda tore up a
tendon or two. And even with surgery re-attaching one of two tendons and a
fair amount of physiotherapy the shoulder never came back to where I could
carry the R8 with motor & 280 all day shooting whatever the subject was.

But the monopod is a pain in the ass, as is a tripod when trying to shoot
moving objects, be they athletes or birds as I know you're aware, compared
to the shoulder brace and free wheel swinging about in any and every
direction.

In my next photog life all joints will be made out of Titanium! ;-)

ted

" <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>