[LRFlex] Re: new zoom lens

  • From: "steverose108" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:58:13 -0700

Thanks for the insight, I had no idea they were so lost in today's market.
Do you mean that they missed the opportunity to become a leader in digital
cameras? Would this have been a good course for them? I don't know...I
confess am not at the point in life I could go and buy the stuff new in a
showroom, so I don't follow the latest models or how they are doing or even
if they have digital Leicas by now.

I know that Leica  brought out some point-and-shoot 35mm's that have mixed
reviews for reliability and features, at least the older ones. Maybe these
have been improved. They may go the way of many companies and end up
diversifying to try to position themselves in various markets and fail at
most if not all.. this is a real fallacy to think that if you have a great
product in one market you need to be in others also. It works for some but
is the ruin of most, it seems.  Thank heavens at any rate we can get the
solid older gear at least, which by the fact that it is still capable of
producing the finest results after some 60  years in the case of my IIIa,
literally gives meaning to the term 'timeless design'.

 I realize that working pros are going digital as fast as they can...  I am
happy to just have good film equipment they are abandoning, that I could
never have otherwise had! It has been a fun few years getting my hands on
Hasselblads, Nikons, even Leica now.

Still, it seems that there are some members of this group who are of an age
and income that allow them to easily afford the best digital gear on the
market, given the fact that they can afford an R8 and a ton of lenses... yet
they still stay with Leica film cameras, is this because they still feel the
results are superior, or just enjoy shooting with this fine equipment?  I
think some of us that can use manual cameras and go into the darkroom and
produce photographs are carrying on a great tradition and can look forward
someday to being considered 'living national treasures' like the old potters
and smiths in Japan, or the blacksmiths and weavers that give weekend
demonstrations at folk festivals. I look forward to learning from all of you
out there who have been working with Leica all these years..S
.