[LRFlex] Re: new zoom lens

  • From: Stasys Petravicius <stasys1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 08:07:20 -0700

on 9/18/04 4:52 AM, Dr. Puritz at drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> While I am asking for suggestions regarding the "saving of weight" and an
> easy to use case ( previous post ) for the R system, I wonder if anyone has
> used the new Asph 28-90 zoom lens.  Certainly the cost would appear to be
> difficult to justify unless the "90" focal length, faster speed at some of
> the focal lengths, and performance are much improved over the 28-70 ( a lens
> which, IMO, has been unjustly criticized ).  When I mention "performance " I
> specifically ask about use in the every day photo opportunities that we all
> have, not about MTF charts and the like.  I some times wonder if there are
> easily perceived differences in the results with some of the more recent
> Leica lenses.  It has been pointed out elsewhere that maximum "appreciable"
> benefit of Leica lenses demands the use of a tripod, and perhaps
> magnification to examine negatives, prints, and slides.  How many of us use
> tripods in our every day work with the family and vistas we seek to capture?
>
> Elliot

> www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm
> Archives are at:
> www.freelists.org/archives/leicareflex/
Elliot- I have thought the same queston for a while. I use an R9, and R5,
and about 85 % of my shooting is with the 28-70, even though I have 9 other
Leica R lenses. I think my travel kit would be just right with the new
28-90, and my 24 F2.8. I cannot justify the $3.3k price on the new lens at
this time- but- maybe sometime.
I've made 8 x10 Ilfochrome prints with the 28-70 lens, and other students
were astonished at the quality.
Good luck in your search of the ideal travel kit. I think you are on the
right track- I'm 61, and I know that a heavy kit gets tiring fast on longer
trips. Stasys

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm