[LRflex] my SD card got bewitched!

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 17:06:51 +0200

Good day Flexers. Yesterday, walking the dog, the Digilux3 around the neck, the
ND fader set on the barrel. Off we go, I formatted the card. It's rather cold
and chilly. When I tried to take a picture of the dam of Saint Maurice: Card
error. Hmmmpf. Never mind, sun lighted banks and lovely jogger 'Madames' are as
good as anything to look at... Back home, Digilux 3 is lleft on the table,
starting another activity. When I come back to the camera a couple of hours
later, switch it on, every thing works. Hmmmpf ?Now, these cards are SD, 2Gb,
Speed 150x (22Mb/s for read, write is usually half, it's a Class 10...) . It
seems that either the camera or the card change its interface timings when the
weather is cold. During my trip, I kept my card in the palm to warm it. it
worked just once then card error again. It is probably the Digilux 3, the write
chain is modified by the temperature and it becomes not so compatible with the
super fast demanding. A Class 6 seems however to keep on and tonoperate
properly in the same cold conditions, I did the experience... Good to know! It
brings another subject. Some cards are offering 20Mb writing speed, it is far
above the Class 10 (10Mb/s per definition). I have tried to find higher speed
than Class 10 but obviously, it does not exist. Another technology has taken
place, namely UHS I and UHS II. The clock signal used to transfer the data has
gone thru a update and, given that the target camera is UHS compatible, it
would in therory offer quicker writes.But for older Camera, as the card is
backward compliant with SD standard, it will not bring a substential
improvement. On Fleabay, I have bought a UHS1 Transcend card (same brand as the
buggy 2Gb used above...) and beforehand, I checked that the Fuji X20, the
latest toy is ... compliant! The price is descent and it would do for a while.
Would it be quicker on the camera? On my Compaquausorus Laptop, I doubt that
the SD reader is UHS, and it probalbly laughes at the 94Mb/s expected reading
stream: this device is USB2 and the rates is rather USB3 bandwidth..... The SD
cards are made over the Flash Technology, 10000 writes, in standard, 15000 for
Sandisk and other Lexar. Usuually the techno or the camera dies before the
card. In my experience, only one card died, it was a among the first fast 8 Gb
available on the market. It lasted 2 years.In Final, I would conclude by saying
that Computing is like Plumbering: it's not because you put a big pipe that
there is more water if there is a straw to feed the pipe !
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France