[LRflex] Re: menu woes

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:57:12 -0700

Every camera I have owned that had any kind of automation (most did not) I have
chosen aperture priority 90% of the time.  I found that in manual mode I was
selecting the aperture, then dialing the shutter to give the correct exposure
and deviating from that if I thought the meter was being fooled.  Well, in
aperture mode, it does what I was doing anyway.  For me, aperture is more
important than shutter as it controls the DOF, which is what I really want to
do, and then let the shutter fall where it may.  If I need to control the
shutter, I just do it by regulating the aperture.  And if I need to override,
the +/- control is easy to get to, especially since I programmed one wheel to
work for that so I do not need to press a +/- button.

So, if you find yourself mainly using the suggested exposure in manual mode,
why not make your life easier and choose either A or S modes. Decide which is
most important to you and use it and let the camera set the other parameter.
Most new meter systems are pretty darn good at balancing even hard lighting
situations.  I found the R8 particularly good at this when I was shooting slide
film.  Hard film to use in tricky situations.  My Canon Rebel was good about
80% of the time and my D7000 is good maybe 90% for the kinds of situations I
photograph, and some are pretty tricky.

Aram