[LRFlex] Re: long-lens steadiness (was: Re: Re: Another Heron.)

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:15:52 -0700

Doug Herr
Subject: [LRFlex] long-lens steadiness (was: Re: Re: Another Heron.)

> I don't know all of David's secrets, but the shoulder stock makes a BIG
> difference.  I've been using a combination of the shoulder stock and a
> monopod, and to test the limits of usability I recently photographed a
> ground squirrel that had taken refuge from the heat in the shade of a
parked
> car.  The photograph is quite boring but I found that when I use the stock
&
> pod and lean against something solid I can still get extremely sharp
photos
> at 1/15 sec with a 280mm lens.<<<<

Hi Doug,
When I bought my 280 2.8 to use at the LA Summer Olympics '84, I already had
the tubular shoulder stock, motor drive and pistol grip wired for the
micro-switch motordrive to release the shutter when I also used used the 560
& 400 tubular lenses. Then it's merely a tiny twitch of the right index
finger and "click!"

When hand holding any of those long teles with this kind of rig it's amazing
how slow a shutter speed one can get away with and still have razor sharp
slides or negs. Of course it still takes practice and learning to do as you
do, getting ones body into a firm shooting position then the battles half
over.

I figure with yourself and now, as David Young is beginning to show,
"birding photography" may catch on big-time from all the crew. :-)

We on this list are very fortunate to have someone of your talent
consistently showing your beautiful work and how it's influencing others
such as David Young, to become better wildlife photographers.

Not only that, you're not afraid to explain your techniques for others to
learn from. And that's a bonus for all of us.

ted

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm